Selimiye Mosque was built by Mimar Sinan between 1569-1575. Mimar Sinan calls this mosque, which he built at the age of 80, “Masterpiece”. Selimiye Mosque and Kulliyesi, Sultan of the 16th century II. It was built in the name of Selim. Selimiye Mosque, one of the most magnificent works of Mimar Sinan’s architectural art and the most beautiful example of man’s creative genius, It was one of the most unique works of the period and later periods when it was made with its technical structure, dimensions and aesthetic values. Mosque made of cut stone; Ottoman architecture with its tile, wood, mother of pearl decoration applications and original pen works; The mihrab and the minber’s marble workmanship are the finest examples of the tile adornment and the 16th century tile. Selimiye Mosque attracted attention with its height of 43.28 meters and its diameter of 31.30 meters, and it was included in World Heritage List by UNESCO in 2012.
The Old Mosque is the earliest monumental structure of Edirne which was reached from the first and Ottoman times. The construction of the Old Mosque, which was initiated by Süleyman Çelebi in 1403, was completed by Çelebi Mehmet in 1414. Haci Alaaddin, the architect of the Ancient Mosque, opposite the Selimiye Mosque, was the architect of Konya, and Ömer Bin İbrahim was the architectural planner. The mosque, known as the first original abridged mosque, is one of the most important mosques built in the 15th century.
Three Honorable Mosque, between the years of 1438-1447 II. It was built by Murat. It is one of the most beautiful examples of Ottoman architecture reflecting early and classical period art. Many of the firsts in Ottoman architecture are a collection of glass. Having three honors, it is the first experiment of the transition from the very domed period of the Seljuk architecture to the one domed turn. In addition, this mosque has the first large porticoe of the Ottoman architectural history.
The Bulgarian Church of Sweti George was completed in 1880 and worship was opened. The Bulgarian Church of Sweti George in the Kıyık city of Edirne, Sultan II in memory of a Bulgarian soldier who saved the king’s daughter from the dragon. Abdülhamit Han was built by order. The church, which was built in Kıyık city, where Bulgarian citizens are concentrated, was called Bulgarian Church by the people. After the Balkan Wars, the Bulgarian Church of Sweti George, which has declined in congregation, has been in ruins over time. After the restoration work, the worship service was opened again in 2004. In addition to the Bulgarian Church of Sweti George, Sveti Konstantin – Elena Church is now open for worship and worship.
The Great Synagogue of Edirne is Europe’s largest and the third largest synagogue in the world. In 1492 II. The 13 synagogues of Jews built in Edirne, Spain and Portugal, built on the prominence of Bayezid, were destroyed in the fire of 1903 and the Great Synagogue, which was considered sacred to the Jews in 1907, was built. The Great Synagogue was built by the French architect ” France Depre ” taking the example of the Vienna Synagogue as an example.
Muradiye Mosque, also known as Mevlevihane, is famous for its extraordinary tiles. In 1426 Sultan II. Made by Murat. It was first built as Edirne Mevlevihane, and the mosque and the Mevlevi mosque did not reach the daylight. Muradiye Mosque has a rich interior architecture with a simple exterior architecture. The interior architecture forms the walls covered with blue and white hexagonal china original to the Ottoman period tile art.
Gazimihal Mosque; It is on the side of the Tunca River on the way to Kapıkule. It was built in 1421 by Gazi Mihal Bey from the Ottoman Raiders. The Gazimihal Mosque, located in front of Edirne’s Mihal Bey Bridge, was completely built with cut stone. There is a rectangular stone-shaped inscription on the crown door on the northern front of the glass whose marble coverings are rarely found on the walls.
For Bahais, the houses where Edirne and Bahá’u’lláh are here are sacred and give the name “Arz-i Sır” or “Glacier City”. Whatever the meaning of Kabe for Muslims, Edirne and Bahailer have the same meaning. Because Bahá’u’lláh came from Iran, which was in the borders of the Ottomans at that time, in 1864, first to Istanbul, then to Edirne, and to Edirne for about 4.5 years. In addition, by making the first announcement of Bahailik religion from Edirne; From the fact that the expected imam was sent to him by Allah. He visits every season of the world.
There is not much information about Enez Castle and Enez Haghia Sophia, and it was taken by Prokopios, a history researcher, to prevent the barbarian raids from the Balkans. The reclamation building materials used in the construction of the Enez Castle, built on a high hill called the Acropolis in the Ancient Ages, indicate that the Enez Castle was built before the Byzantine period. There is Enez Haghia Sophia in Enez Castle which has become the symbol of Enez.
Keşan Hersekzade Mosque in Çınar Sokak, which is connected to Keşan, was built by Ottoman Vezir-i Azami Ahmet Pasha in the beginning of the 16th century. Hersekzade is also known as Ahmet Pasha Mosque. Since the book of Keşan Hersekzade Mosque can not reach to the daylight, there is not much information about the mosque. Keşan Hersekzade Mosque, which has a square plan, draws attention with its exterior architecture and interior architecture. The mosque has a bullet-covered dome, and has a unique architecture with its pen-décor works.
There is no definite information about when and who made İpsala Alaca Mustafa Pasha Mosque. Sultan II. It is thought to have been made during the 15th century during the Murat period. The Alaca Mustafa Pasha Mosque, which had a square plan, was covered with a central dome when it was first built and covered with a roof when it was rebuilt. The brick carvings are placed between the block stones and the entrance gate of the finished outer glass is attracting attention with its round arched structure made of stones removed from the Keşan quarries.
The Ioannes Church was built in 1875 for Baptist Saint Ioannis. The Ioannes Church in the Muradiye District of Uzunköprü is made of rubble stone and bricks are used for decoration purposes. One of the bells belonging to the Ioannes Church was used at the Iskele Church and all the movable materials contained in it were taken to Greece.
Has Yunus Bey, who was the captain of the Ottoman Empire between the years 1453-1456, also commanded the newly established Ottoman navy. Has Yunus Bey was in office while Enez town passed Ottoman patronage. The Kabinin is said to be in the Ottoman cemetery in Enez.
It is believed that Turbine belongs to Yunus Bey, Captain of Fatih Sultan Mehmet, that Enez is a martyr during his conquest and buried at the place where the turbine is found. It is also thought that it may have been constructed as ‘Makam Tomb’ by the Muslim people in the town.